What is an LED downlight?
LED downlight is a kind of lighting fixture embedded in the ceiling. LED downlights are including non-directional and directional lighting fixtures. LED downlights are products that are improved and developed on the basis of traditional downlights by applying new LED lighting sources. If lighting is realized by diode lighting, compared with traditional downlights, it has the following advantages: energy saving, low-cost Carbon, longevity, good color rendering, and fast response.
Types of Led downlight
There are many types of LED downlights, generally including the following:
SMD LED downlight: This kind of downlight mainly uses SMD-led chips as the illuminant. A large number of SMD-led chips are evenly distributed on the aluminum substrate, which is suitable for large distribution lighting requests, which is conducive to the heat dissipation of the lamps, and the uniformity of the lighting of the lamps will be reduced. better. Common SMD chips are mostly SMD2835, and SMD5730.
COB LED downlight: mainly uses COB LED chips as the light source, Narrow beam downlight (spotlight) mainly uses COB LED chips, suitable for local lighting and accent lighting.
Recessed downlight: It is generally embedded in the ceiling. When installed, it can maintain the overall unity and perfection of the architectural decoration without destroying the setting of the lamps. The light source is hidden inside the architectural decoration and the light source is not exposed.
Surface mounted downlighter: These downlights are ideal for installation and maintenance, and replacement, and are fastened directly to the ceiling.
Dimmable led downlights: The common ones are Triac dimmable downlight, 0-10V dimmable, and DALI downlight. These three dimming methods have their own advantages and disadvantages, you can refer to this blog for details.
Waterproof downlight: The structure of the waterproof downlight is improved on the basis of the ordinary LED downlight, and the waterproof rubber ring and waterproof plug screw are added. The waterproof level can reach IP54 or even IP65, which can well prevent the entry of water vapor. It is used in environments with water vapor and heavy humidity, such as kitchens, bathrooms, toilets, swimming rooms, etc.
Directional downlight: Directional downlight also called tilt or adjustable, gimbal downlights, It can adjust the illumination direction of the lamp for wall washing.
Motion sensor downlights: it includes PIR Sensor downlights and a radar sensor downlight, the light will be turned on automatically when they detect any movement or somebody, and it will turn off or only keep 30% power automatically when there is no movement. It is a good choice for aisles, corridors in hotels, or buildings.
Smart downlight: This is a type of downlight that has recently become popular. Relying on communication technologies such as WIFI, the color temperature of LED downlights can be changed and the brightness can be adjusted. Mainly divided into WIFI, Bluetooth, and Zigbee downlight. You can refer to this “Smart lighting, Zigbee, WIFI, Bluetooth Mesh which is the best?”
Led downlights dimension and wattages
The size of LED downlights is generally similar to or the same as that of traditional CFL downlights. LED downlight wattages will be less than traditional downlight, it can be saving much more 60-70% than old downlight fixtures. Common LED downlight sizes and corresponding power are as follows:
|Wattages||7W 9W||9W 12W||12W 15W 18W||15W 18W 20W||18W 20W 24W||25W 30W 40W 50W||40W 50W|
Advantages &Features of led downlights
1. Energy saving: The energy consumption of white LEDs is only 1/10 of incandescent lamps, and 2/5 of energy-saving lamps. Longevity: The theoretical life of LEDs can exceed 100,000 hours, which can be described as “once and for all” for ordinary household lighting.
2. It can work at high speed: if the energy-saving lamp is frequently started or turned off, the filament will turn black and be damaged quickly.
3. Solid state package: It belongs to the type of cold light source. So it is very convenient to transport and install, can be installed in any miniature and closed equipment, is not afraid of vibration, not easy to break.
4. Environmental protection: It does not contain mercury (Hg) and other substances that are harmful to the environment, and will not cause damage to the environment. The assembled parts of the LED light can be easily disassembled and assembled and can be recycled by others without being recycled by the manufacturer. LED does not contain infrared and ultraviolet rays, so it does not attract insects. 5. Instant start: LED has a fast response speed, which completely eliminates the shortcomings of traditional high-pressure sodium lamps that have a long starting process
Application of Led downlights
LED downlights have the applicability of indoor lighting that is unmatched by some other lamps and even other LED lamps. It does not occupy indoor space. Installing LED downlights indoors will not be used because of the privacy of the lamps. Create a feeling of oppression, on the contrary, it will have a warm effect. Therefore, home lighting can choose to install multiple downlights to reduce the sense of space oppression. Downlights are generally used in shopping malls, offices, factories, hospitals, waiting rooms, stations, subway stations, and other indoor lighting.
LED downlight installation
Generally, all LED lamps are no more than 3 installation methods – embedded, Surface mounted, and Suspended installation, LED downlights are no exception. And recessed, surface mount led downlight accounted for 95% of the demand in the market. For the specific steps of these two installation methods, please refer to the following PDF files:
Before installation, cut off the power supply, make sure the switch is closed to prevent electric shock, and do not touch the surface of the lamp after the lighting is on. At the same time, the lamp should be avoided to be installed in the place of heat source and hot steam and corrosive gas, so as not to affect the life.
Downlight VS Spotlights
Downlights and spotlights are common indoor downward lighting lamps, often used in shopping malls, hospitals, hotels, living rooms, and other indoor places. Many people refer to both types of fixtures as “downlights”, but there are many differences between them. Regarding to the difference between downlights and spotlights, you can check this article” What are the differences between spotlights and downlights?
Led downlight price
We mainly analyze the price comparison of the same power of the following different grades:
|Type||Economic downlight||Middle-level downlight||Top quality downlight|
|Application||Retail, residential lighting||Projects, school, hotel||Commercial lighting|
|Led driver||Non-isolated driver||Isolated driver||DONE/LiFud/Philips/Osram famous brand driver|
|LED Chips||SMD 2835 with aluminum wire||Epistar brand SMD chips with gold wire||Philips/Osram SMD led chips|
|Unit price||12W $1.5; 18W $1.98; 24W $4.98||12W $4.6; 18W$6.3; 24W $7.98||12W $5.52; 18W $8.5; 24W $11.88|
As you see above chart, the led downlight price is mainly decided by the different led drivers, led chips, housing type, and even power factor. The main function of the above-led downlights is the same, but the price is seriously different. If you request to know more details or request prices for other led downlights, you can contact us here.
Led downlight common problems
The common quality problems of LED downlights are as follows:
Led downlight flashing: The flashing of the downlight is mainly because the driver of the downlight or the parameters of the Led chips does not match, or because the driver of the downlight is damaged. If the parameters are matched, then the drive power of the downlight is damaged. Need to replace a new driver.
Downlight not working: The main reasons why LED downlights are not working are driver broken or led chips burned. You can choose the famous brand of led lights when you prefer top-quality led lights.
Led downlight brightness decrease: The standard of the LED lighting industry for light decay is: 1000 hours light decay is 0, 3000 hours light decay is 1%, 10000 hours light decay is 3%, 50,000 hours light decay is not more than 30%. If you feel the decrease in the downlight’s brightness is serious, then this downlight’s chips are very bad, and the heat sink is not good as well. If The heat sink is poor quality, then means the downlight will be a bad performance in heat dissipation, in this case, the led chips will have to bear more high temperature, so once the led chips are not good, then the brightness will be decreased or burned.
LED downlight yellow changing: This is common with cheap slim panel downlights with bad quality LGP. This LGP has poor heat resistance and is prone to discoloration in high-temperature environments.
Tips for choice of led downlights
The first thing to consider when buying a downlight is where the light will be used, so as to determine the type of downlight, wattage, quantity, color temperature, and then size and light refraction.
1. Type. At present, there are many embedded downlights in the family, the visual effect is more refreshing and simple, and there is no requirement for the decoration style; when the ceiling depth in the home is not enough, you can choose the surface-mounted downlights, which can enhance the sense of hierarchy of the space and make the sense of modernity stronger.
2. Wattage. The wattage of the downlight should be combined with the area of the room, the height of the floor and the brightness of the main light. When the brightness of the main light is high, the downlight does not need to be too bright, 1w to 3w can be used; when the downlight is used as the main light, the wattage should be larger, and 5w-7w is recommended.
3. Quantity. There should not be too many downlights as decoration. The distance between them is usually between 1-2 meters. At the same time, the size of the downlights should be taken into account, and the specific quantity can be converted.
4. Size. Generally, when the space is large, the specifications of the downlights should also be relatively large; when the space is small, the specifications of the downlights should also be relatively small, so that the overall visual sense of the space will be more comfortable.
5. Color temperature. The color temperature of the downlight depends on the color temperature of other light sources in the space. It is recommended to keep the overall color temperature as consistent as possible, which will keep the overall texture of the space. You also can refer to the blog” How to choose the color temperature of LED lights” to know more information.
My name is Ricky Wang, I’m the business manager of GRNLED. I have been in LED lights industry for more than 10 year. Feel free to contact us. I’m happy to provide you the best service and products.
Email: email@example.com | WeChat: ledfixture